Sunday, October 23, 2011

Let the Excavators Begin!

Yesterday was Day 1 officially of our remodel (not counting all the time spent with our architect in design phase, not counting getting permits, not counting getting financing, or time spent with the contractor planning the budget or the timetable. Also not counting all the deconstruction and prep work that Phil has been doing.). Kurt, our contractor, and his 2 excavator guys (young guys around our own age or younger and one earned brownie points for wearing a Giants sweatshirt even though apparently he's not into baseball), along with his 14 year old nephew, Jorgen, arrived around 8am to begin digging dirt. I was amazed at how quickly you can see progress! They brought in an excavator machine (or for those of you who know it from the children's book, Are You My Mother, it's the SNORT machine) and a bobcat. While three or four of the guys stayed out back digging, one of the guys, Matt, the framer, came in to discuss the plan for framing. He went on and on about how he's going to need to get at the ceiling and the wall in the current bathroom and office and as he discussed this plan my heart began racing (Oh no! Our plan to keep living normally in our current part of the house is blowing up! Now we won't even be able to shower for a time or use our only toilet?!) and my ears were ringing with the sounds of a cash register (cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching) for every new little change in our plan that he described. As I began giving Phil the evil eye, with eyebrows raised as high as they can go, trying to will him to stop saying, "yea...yea, sounds good man, we'll figure it out. Do what you gotta do." Matt finally says, while stooped over the official architectural plans, "Oh wait. Maaayyybe we don't need to do that. It looks like we don't need that truss to go all the way through there." At that point I released a lot of stored up stale air loose from my tense stressed out body and decided I needed to get out of the house. I went to the window showroom to figure out which windows I want and then took Charlie to our unofficial dog park.
The dog park was one of those amazing moments that had me loving the Northwest and the people here so much. I met these wonderfully friendly people that live in our neighborhood. Mark (works for REI) and Erika (a pharmacist at UW), and their daughter and dogs, Cheeto and Disco. The three of us, along with another local woman (works for Sound Transit) talked all about the dogs, the weather, and the approach of Viaductopolis (the Viaduct...SR-99...is finally being torn down and it is going to be a huge inconvenience and a traffic nightmare). We talked about each others careers and companies, each of our remodel projects, and more. All the while the five dogs were chasing each other like crazy, playing ball, and finally after almost an hour, laying around happily panting with exhaustion. It is moments like those, so unexpected and pleasant, that I just love West Seattle & the Northwest.
I returned home to find unbelievable amounts of progress in the backyard. I made lunch for Phil and I, since the rest of the men were working through lunch to try and finish before the Husky game started at 5. I ventured out one last time to the public library where I relaxed and read until some noisy and smelly people sat down next to me. I took it as a sign to get back to see the ending part of excavation day. It was a good thing because all the guys had already finished and just Phil and Kurt were finishing up with site maintenance to protect the mounds of dirt from blowing around.
Phil probably did not need to stick around to help out, but he was like a kid, so giddy and excited to be a part of the start of construction, that I didn't want to burst his bubble. All in all, it was a great first day.
getting ready


first dig

moving dirt before moving dirt again

view through the office window

don't worry Cricket! We promise to fix your yard soon!

at the end of the day

Free concrete anyone?

Soon to be the Vrbas master bed and bath!

Phil also cut in new space in the crawl space for duct work etc.

Mr. Mud

I told you...giddy like a child to get in that dirt!

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, seems like Phil is really enjoying himself tearing the house apart. Even more fun when he helps to put it back together again.....

    ReplyDelete

Give me some blog love! What did you think while reading this post? Leave a comment here!